Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Firstly, my thoughts and prayers go out today to all those who have been evacuated from these Utah fires. Its been scary.

Secondly, I wanted to talk about dreams.

We all have something that we love or want to be able to do. We feel pulled toward it, and a lot of it makes us who we are

There are many things and people in our lives that tell us that we can't do something. That we aren't good enough, or talented enough, or that we'd never make it for some reason or other.

Well those things can go die.

We are sons and daughters of God. We literally have infinite potential. I love the quote: what would you do if you knew you could not fail?

What would we do? There is literally stores of infinite power and potential in ourselves to tap into. We just have to  have the guts to access them. We're not going to be handed talent on a silver platter.

Don't settle for the ordinary. This was something I struggled with for a long time. I was really nervous about following the arts as a career path. I still am at times. But I realized something. Those goals and dreams that seem too far out of reach are most likely what we were meant to do. With the Gospel, God asks us to do really scary things sometimes. Even though things would probably be ok if we played it safe, they turn out far better if we listen and trust in the Lord.

Its the same with dreams. If we follow our dreams, we'll end up far better than we ever would have otherwise. As long as we're living the gospel, the Lord will guide us on what will tap into our potential.

I really feel that theatre is my calling. This is a scary world I'm jumping into, but I have this undeniable feeling that if I keep my standards and follow my heart that everything will turn out fine. The Lord will not lead me astray. I'm not sure where I'll be in the next 20 years, but I know the direction I want to go. My dreams for now are to earn degrees, perform on professional stages, and eventually become a teacher. No matter what happens, I have a drive and a goal.

Whether or not my dreams come true how I want them to is beside the point. My dreams will come true how the Lord wants them to. I know that I want to make good through my dreams, and if I have righteous desires, and righteous dreams then The Lord will see them done.

Here's a few other things.

Never say never.

Don't say can't or try. Can't is an evil word. Try is faithless and fear-filled.

Do what you're afraid of failing at. For me, even though I'm good at what I do, Its still not all up to me if I make it on broadway or any other professional theatre. But I will do all in my power to make sure that it wasn't my fault if I don't. They won't have a reason given by me not to cast me. I might fail, but I also might succeed.

Don't give up. Don't settle. Don't downplay yourself. You were born for greatness. You're a child of God.

One of my ultimate dreams is to play the role of Jean Val Jean professionally. The climax of this dream is the finale of the show and this moment in act two, when Val Jean prays for the sleeping Marius.

Singing this song is a very spiritual experience to me, and it is my dream to sing it to a sold out crowd.

One day I WILL play this role professionally. One day I WILL sing this song and get a standing ovation. One day I WILL hopefully change someone's life because of it. I know that theatre has changed mine.


Dream big. I dare you. 


1 comment:

  1. We will be there to give you a standing ovation when you do!

    ReplyDelete